Growing Up Corporate 90’s Style
A Brief Summary of One Woman's Experience.


 

Being a child of the 80's I loved: Hairbands, MTV, Atari and Boones Farm wine shared with friends around a campfire. 

 

 
A 90's Evolution

As I ventured into early adulthood poised on a springboard into the corporate and (at the time) male dominated world of an industrial market.  I found myself in awe of the benefits of landing an entry level HR/Receptionist job on the coveted "5th Floor" of a well established and respected cooling tower company.

Early on, I realized the value of right place, right time, right people.  I greatly valued:

  • The ability to have daily "facetime" with company leadership (not IOS Facetime)
  • Those free thinking marketing rebels who used "Macs"
  • Those loud, rowdy and extremely FUN Sales departments, who took long lunches and did things outside work which really seemed to bond them as a tight knit family unit. 

I also realized I had a voice, an opinion, and sometimes a reckless spirit that landed me in hot water..... Often times, minutes before walking into a “Town Hall” meeting someone from accounting or other department would hand me a list of questions to ask the executive team holding court in the next room.  It was a trait that got me noticed, sometimes good, sometimes not so good… but I digress. 


In my current role as an office furniture sales consultant I often go out to client sites, and in doing so, I see cubicles of days gone past… reminding me of how much office life has changed…. Back Then:


·       Office parties were WILD!  Easy friendships flowed as freely as the top shelf booze that was always available.

·       Smokey Interiors! Along with normal desktop tools such as staplers and tape dispensers many folks had ASHTRAYS

·       If you were NOT a smoker; TOO BAD, you just had to hold your breath and deal with it! 

As the 90's rolled by, more and more accommodations were made: First; smoking "bosses" were paired with smoking "assistants", Then came smoking rooms, smoking areas outside, and so on to making it the taboo it is today…. (I remember the initial OUTRAGE of smoking employees having to relinquish their desktop ashtrays) NOT PRETTY.

·       Depending on the Industry (and the one I worked within, fell into the category) If you were a woman, you were a secretary or at the very least a lesser version of your male counterpart. I learned to abhor the word “secretary” and all it stood for, and truth be told I still don’t use the term.


I am so glad to say things have greatly changed!  Also, insanely proud to have worked for the first woman manager of the company I grew up in.  She high kicked the glass wall of leadership, by being educated, smart, fearless, and savvy.  She was a mentor, an inspiration, and a friend to me.  She empowered her team to think outside the box and take ownership of their role in the company’s success.  She broke the gender barrier in many ways, but the one that stood out most to me was her learning how to play golf so she could join the guys out on the course and be part of the company guiding decisions that were often made between greens. She remains a deep seated INSPIRATION to me!
 

I realized how foreign my experiences might seem to others, as I reminisced on days gone past to a millennial in my office that is just starting his journey.....


I had to chuckle as he sat on the edge of every word and every recollection with a mixture of open mouth amazement and deep full belly laughs.  My realization that I USED to be him, and that he must look at me as some ball busting, outspoken, semi feministic woman who is nearly the age of his own mom.  It is my hope he will learn from my experience, and that I may inspire him to the greatness I see lurking in his depths, and maybe just maybe he will look at his own mom with new eyes and think WOW, I wonder what HER path looked like!
 
 
 

At FSG we specialize in helping you maximize the return on office furniture assets. We are a Full Service Office Furniture Company. Whether it is cubicles, workstations, panels, task seating, conference seating or side seating we can help extend the useful life of those furniture assets.

We offer high quality manufacturers such as: Steelcase, Herman Miller, Haworth, Knoll, Teknion
Please keep in mind at FSG we offer free space planning plus we can help you with your office move, your interior space build out and electronic recycling
.
 

We plan it. We rent it. We move it. We install it. We refurbish it. We paint it. We upholster it!

 

WE WORK FOR YOU!

We are a full service office furniture company, working with companies nationwide with locations in Kansas City, Missouri and St. Louis, Missouri.

We help companies buy and sell office furniture.


New, Used, Refurbished, Space Planning, Site Survey's and MORE!

Need 20 or More Stations?

Ask me about our industry changing RTO program! Your CFO will LOVE YOU FOR IT! Facility Services Group
1535 Atlantic Street
North Kansas City, MO 64116


Facility Services Group
7226 N. Lindberg Blvd
Hazelwood, MO 63042

http://www.FacilityServicesNow.com

Call 314.282.4441 x 710 for help with your next office furniture project

Facility Services Group (FSG) is a family owned business. The Founder and his two sons and a dedicated staff of over 40 employees have decades of hands on experience in the office furniture industry, including sales, service, liquidation, project management, appraisal and overall installation of most modular office furniture systems. With offices and showrooms in St. Louis and Kansas City Missouri, Facility Service Group sells and services a wide geographic area of the United States. We help companies buy and sell office furniture, refurbish office furniture and recover and reupholster office seating and chairs plus much more.

We sell high quality sustainable office furniture, work stations, workstation, cubicle, cubes, cubicles, modular panel systems and the rest upon request: seating, task chairs, conference, training tables, call centers, reception area, refurbished systems and more.

 
 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting Money Back in Your Office Furniture Budget IS Possible!

CHEAP CHAIRS HURT THE BACK!